Claim compensation by end of January, residents affected by Vientiane expressway told
VIENTIANE (Vientiane Times/ANN) - Authorities have told villagers and organisations whose property stands in the path of the planned expressway in Vientiane to declare the assets they will lose and to submit a compensation claim by the end of this month.
Xaysettha and Xaythany district authorities issued separate announcements in local media outlets, setting a deadline of January 30, after many land use rights holders failed to submit a claim.
Those failing to declare their land use rights and assets and claim compensation by the deadline will voluntarily lose their right to compensation.
The 15.2 km expressway linking the Lao International Trade Exhibition and Convention Centre (Lao-ITECC) in Xaysettha district to Dongmarkkhai village in Xaythany district will be built parallel to Kaysone Phomvihane Avenue.
The US$200 million (over 1,710.5 billion kip) project will affect 689 plots of land measuring 242.6 hectares, 159 houses and other buildings, as well as crops and other plants.
The property affected is located in Xaysettha district’s 12 villages and Xaythany district’s six villages.
The 12 villages are Xokyai, Hongsouphab, Nongnieng, Phonphanao, Nonsa-nga, Vangxai, Nonsavang, Viengchaleun, Huakhua, Nonkhor-neua, Thatluangtai and Hongkae.
Residents and organisations with property in these villages can submit a declaration to the committee in charge at the Viengchaleun village office or contact the relevant office on 020-55775500.
The six villages are Nakhae, Xay, Xaysavang, Dongxanghin, Dontiew, and Dongmarkkhai. Those affected in these villages can make a declaration at the Xaythany district office or contact officials on mobile no. 020-99999985 or 020-77070755.
The value of the compensation to be awarded, which is included in the project investment cost, is estimated at more than 452.8 billion kip, according to information from the Vientiane Public Works and Transport Department.
Department Director Mr Dedsongkharm Thammavong told the Vientiane People’s Council recently that his department is accelerating work to disburse compensation payments next month.
The owners of the land use rights to 456 plots have already made declarations and completed the necessary paperwork.
However, the owners of land use rights to the remaining 233 plots have not yet done so.
Some of those affected have requested more compensation, saying the amount offered was below the market value.
Mr Dedsongkharm told Vientiane Times that the compensation unit price had been approved by the Vientiane Administration and the Vientiane People’s Council. He called on people affected by the project to accept the compensation payout and make a contribution to the capital’s development.
Vientiane authorities expect to finish the disbursement of compensation before construction of the expressway begins sometime this year, with completion anticipated in 2021. The investors in the project are China’s Nolico company and a Lao company.
Authorities in charge and the investors are currently drawing up an agreement on the 50-year concession project.
The Vientiane Administration has prioritised the building of the expressway to link Lao-ITECC with Huakhua Market, 450 Year Road, a station on the Laos-China railway, and National Road No. 13 South, ending at Dongmakkhai village.
The road is expected to significantly reduce traffic congestion on Kaysone Phomvihane Avenue, which is currently the main link to National Road No. 13 South and the southern provinces.