Three candidates to run for Mongolia's President election 2017
ULAANBAATAR (GoGo Mongolia/ANN) - The president of Mongolia is elected for a four-year term nationwide since 1992, using the two-round system.
On June 26, the 7th presidential election will be held in Mongolia. Current President Ts.Elbegdorj will not be running for re-election as he has been president for two terms. The President can be re-elected only one time.
Powers of the President:
- Nominate a candidate for the office of Prime Minister, who is then approved or rejected by the State Great Khural (parliament).
- Veto the Khural's legislation (can be overridden with a two-thirds majority).
- Approve judicial appointments.
- Appoint the Chief Judge of the Supreme Court of Mongolia.
- Chair the national security council.
- Act as commander in chief of the armed forces.
- Nominate the Prosecutor General, the official in charge of implementing the laws, who is then approved or rejected by the Khural.
According to the Law on Elections, three political parties seated in Parliament are eligible to nominate a candidate for the Presidential Election 2017; the Mongolian People's Party (MPP), the Democratic Party (DP) and the Mongolian People's Revolutionary Party (MPRP). In regards, three parties have officially announced their presidential candidates on May 6.
Candidates to run in the election will receive candidacy certificates on May 27. Election campaigns will be commenced from June 6 to June 25. Mongolian citizens living abroad will vote at relevant embassies and consulates on June 10 and 11.
M.ENKHBOLD, A PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE OF MPP
On May 3, MPP, which holds 65 out of 76 seats in Parliament, selected its candidate for the Presidential election at its members` meeting. Speaker of the Parliament M.Enkhbold won over Deputy Speaker of the Parliament Ts.Nyamdorj, collecting a majority or 85.7 percent of votes from the members and officially announced as a candidate to represent MPP in the Presidential election.
M.Enkhbold was born on 19 July 1964. He is currently the chairman of the Parliament of Mongolia, the State Great Khural. In 2016, when the MPP gained control of parliament, he was elected as chairman of the State Great Khural. Enkhbold is married and has two children.
- In 1982, he graduated from the 1st secondary school of Ulaanbaatar,
- In 1987, he graduated the National University of Mongolia as planner-economists,
- In 1996, he earned diploma in Japan in Public management and organizational issues,
- In 1998, he earned diploma in Germany in Local self-governing bodies,
- In 2000, he earned Master degree in economy,
- In 2002, he became member of International academy of information science, UNICEF,
- In 2003, he earned Doctoral degree from South Korea in state authority,
- In 2006, he earned Doctoral degree from Orkhon university.
- From 1987-1989, he worked as an economist with the Services Office of the Executive Authority of the Assembly of People's Deputies of Ulaanbaatar.
- From 1989-1991, he worked as a specialist for the Department of Planning and Service Mechanics of the Public Services Ministry.
- From 1991-1992, he worked as head of the municipal Services Office of the Executive Authority of the Assembly of People's Deputies of Ulaanbaatar.
- From 1992-1996, he worked as Deputy Governor of the Chingeltei District of Ulaanbaatar.
- From 1996-1998, he worked as Chairman of the Presidium of the Chingeltei Districts Khural of Citizens Representatives.
- From 1999-2005, he elected as Mayor of Ulaanbaatar city.
- Since 2005, he is serving as MP.
- From 2006-2007, he appointed as Prime Minister of Mongolia.
- From 2007-2012, he appointed as Deputy Minister of Mongolia.
- From 2012-2016, he appointed as Deputy Chairman of State Great Khural.
- From 2016, he is working as Chairman of State Great Khural.
- In 1990, he joined MPP,
- In 1991-1992, he selected as a chairman of city 214th MPP slot,
- In 1992-1997, he selected as a head of MPP committee in Chingeltei District,
- In 1997-2006, he selected as a head of MPP committee,
- In 2005-2007, he became a chairman of MPP,
- In 2007-2012, he became a secretary of MPP,
- In 2013, he became a chairman of MPP.
KH.BATTULGA, A PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE OF DP
DP, which holds 10 seats in Parliament, selected its presidential candidate through votes from all members of the party nationwide. Member of Parliament L.Bold, former Prime Minister R.Amarjargal, former Minister of Justice and Internal Affairs D.Dorligjav, former Prime Minister N.Altankhuyag, former Agriculture Minister Kh.Battulga, and former Minister of Industry B.Jargalsaikhan have registered to run for the party’s nomination.
Kh.Battulga collected 2740 votes from the DP members in nationwide and officially announced as a candidate to run for the upcoming president election representing DP. He is followed by former Prime Minister R.Amarjargal with 2374 votes.
- In 1978, he graduated from the 34th secondary school of Ulaanbaatar,
- In 1982, he graduated Fine arts high school as a painter.
- From 1979 - 1990, he was an athlete for Sambo national team,
- From 1982 - 1990, he worked as a painter at Fine arts organization,
- From 1990 - 2004. he worked as a general director of "Genco" LLC,
- From 1997 - 2004, he worked as CEO of Bayangol hotel JSC,
- From 1999 - 2004, he worked as CEO of Mah Impex JSC,
- From 2004 - 2008, he elected as MP,
- From 2008 - 2012, he appointed as Minister of Road, Transportation, Construction and Urban Development,
- From 2008 - 2012, he elected as MP,
- From 2012 -2016, he elected as MP,
- From 2012 -2014, he worked as Minister of Industry and Agriculture,
- From 2016, he is working as an anchorman for "Mongol tulgatnii 100 erhem" and chairman of the Mongolian Democratic Union.
N.ENKHBAYAR, A PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE OF MPRP
A presidential candidate to represent the MPRP, which holds one out of 76 seats in Parliament, was the center of attention.
Six members of the party nominated themselves for the presidential candidate and N.Enkhbayar, former President of Mongolia officially announced as the MPRP’s candidate for the Presidential election 2017. He is the first person to have held all of the top three positions in Mongolian government - Prime Minister, Speaker of the Parliament, and President of Mongolia.
N.Enkhbayar was born on 1 June 1958 in Ulaanbaatar city, Mongolia. He is married to O.Tsolmon in 1987 and they have four children.
- In 1975, he finished 23rd secondary school,
- In 1980, he earned an undergraduate degree majoring in literature and language studies from Maxim Gorky Literature Institute in Moscow, Russia,
- In 1986, he completed English language and literature course at Leeds University in the United Kingdom.
- In 1985 he joined MPRP.
- From 1992-1996, he elected to the State Great Khural and was appointed to serve as the country's Minister of Culture.
- From 1996-1997, became the secretary general of the MPRP.
- From 1997-2005, elected as the chairman of the MPRP.
- From 2000-2004, he served as the Prime Minister of Mongolia.
- From 2004-2005, he worked as Speaker of the Parliament.
- From 2005-2009, he elected as President of Mongolia.
- In 2011, he became the chairman of re-established MPRP while old members of MPRP established MPP.
The Independent Authority Against Corruption (IAAC) arrested Enkhbayar on 13 April 2012. The IAAC stated that it arrested Enkhbayar for questioning in a graft case involving the illegal privatization of a government-owned hotel because he never showed up for questioning eleven times over a year during the investigation, thus it was forced to arrest him.
On 2 August 2012, after a three-day trial Sukhbaatar District Court convicted Enkhbayar of corruption and sentenced to seven years of imprisonment, three of which was pardoned and then gave four years prison term and fined with over Mongolian Tugrik 1.7 billion ($705,102) for misusing state properties and government power. Enkhbayar's sentence was reduced to two and a half year prison term without the fine by the Supreme Court of Mongolia-the highest court in Mongolia for graft and embezzlement. However, Enkhbayar spent less than a month in prison and spent the rest of his prison term as a patient at the Second General Hospital.
On 1 August 2013, President of Mongolia Ts.Elbegdorj issued a decree to pardon Enkhbayar thus releasing him from the rest of his jail term effective on the decree date.