Myanmar: Over 200 students demand justice over killing of Kyaukse GTI student

NAYPYITAW (Eleven Media Group/ANN) - Over 200 members of the student union gathered in front of a court in Kyaukse Township, Mandalay Region, on September 13 to launch a campaign demanding justice as three suspects were remanded for the second time for their murder of a student from Kyaukse Government Technological Institute (GTI). 

The students from various colleges, institutes and universities gathered in the compound of Kyakse District Court wearing white T-shirts reading "Help ensure the security of students". 

Two students from Kyaukse GTI were out on a motorbike at about 10.30 pm on August 29. There motorbike almost collided with another motorcycle that three men were riding on that night. On arrival at a shop, the two students were asked to get off their motorbike by the three men. When one of the students got off, the three men demanded of him to give them his mobile phone. A fight then ensued, during which one of the three men stabbed the student who later died on the way to hospital. 

"In the initial statement released by police, a murder occurred accidently during a brawl. But they released another statement again. The case also included mugging. We are watching them if there is a balance between crime and punishment. How can we students prevent such an incident? Our campaign is aimed at seeking protection of our students. Killing a student means threatening the security of students," said Nyein Thet Aung, chair of the student union from Kyaukse GTI. 

A case has been opened against the three suspects at Kyaukse  Police Station under Sections 302,114 and 392 of Penal Code of Myanmar. They were remanded so they face trail at Kyaukse Township Court. They sought second remand on September 13. On that campaigning students clashed with the head of District Police Force after the three suspects arrived on a private car and entered the court through a side door. The students got angry with that. 

"I have never seen such a case. I got shocked when I saw the incident on CCTV. They were so cruel to kill a young student. As I am interested in this case, I came here to the court," said San San, a local woman from Kyaukse.  


No photos has been attached.