Always adhere to safety precautions, public reminded

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN (Borneo Bulletin/ANN) - The Fire and Rescue Department yesterday reminded members of the public to pay special attention to fire safety and prevention and be more vigilant with aspects of their home safety to prevent any unwanted incidents like fire.

The reminder came after a minor fire incident in a kitchen at a house at the RPN Kampong Meragang yesterday afternoon, where a family escaped unscathed following the fire that the department said was caused by unattended cooking.

Two fire engines with 13 personnel from the Muara Fire Station rushed to the scene following a report made at 1.02pm.

The fire that engulfed the cooking stove in the kitchen was doused earlier by owners of the house using a water hose before Fire and Rescue personnel arrived. The minor fire damaged part of the kitchen’s walls and ceiling.

In a press statement, the department advised to follow these tips: Ensure the residence is equipped with fire prevention equipment such as fire extinguishers, fire blankets and smoke detectors; have an emergency action plan in case of an emergency and for firefighting; ensure the use of electrical equipment is always under control and conforms to the correct standard, and is installed by skilled electricians recognised by the Department of Electrical Services; switch off electrical appliances when not in use; do not leave cooking unattended; ensure the gas regulator and LPG hose conform to correct standards and shut off gas regulators if not in use; always be aware of the whereabouts of your children and ensure that candles or fire lamps are placed away safely, and are extinguished when leaving the house.

Photos

No photos has been attached.